Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 2lb pumpkin (any), chopped into large chunks (remove skin and seeds) (See Note 1 below)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup 250ml milk (see notes for vegan subs)
- Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until pumpkin is tender.
Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, use a blender (see notes first).
Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve with crusty bread.
Variations: For a richer finish, substitute the milk with cream, but add after blending and do not bring to boil.
Garnishes: CB's Styrian Pumpkin Seeds. Dollop of yogurt, sour cream or creme.
1. ~2.5lb pumpkin before peeling and removing seeds. To make this with pumpkin puree, you will need around 2½ cups of puree.
2. To make it vegan, substitute with almond or soy milk.
3. If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a blender BUT you must make sure that the soup is cooled slightly before blending it, otherwise you will find out the hard way that hot soup + blender = soup explosion (literally, the lid will blow off the blender when you start blending it).
4. Serves: 4 - 6